Yes, there is a definitive difference between design and development. However, these are two facets of the same coin and are interlinked and interdependent. For designing a website, you’ll need the services of a web designer and a web developer, and as surprising as it may sound for the uninitiated, they are both different.
Designing is about decorating your website, choosing its color theme, pattern, fonts, deciding about the other moving parts, and so on. Design is more about working for and enhancing the visual aesthetics, whereas development makes that design a reality and makes it functional. Ultimately, you will need to pay attention to both your design and development process if you want to maximize the potential of your WordPress Website and online presence through Technical SEO practices.
Learn a few basics about Design And Development
Before we move ahead, let us start by defining what design and development mean fundamentally.
Web design is all about understanding what the website would look like, determining its visual aspects, and how end-users would interact with it. While designers may also have to code at times and play around with other tools, their work mostly revolves around usability, layout, and appearance.
Developers need to code to develop the architecture of the website or the application. It is the developer’s work to build a functional and user-friendly website or application and ensure everything is working in a coordinated manner. The developer’s role is to transform the design into a real ‘usable’ website or product using the proper code.
Now, let us delve deeper into the role a designer and a developer plays individually to understand the difference better.
Web design involves the following elements
- Web designers’ role is to create an appealing look and feel of the website. In other words, a web designer is responsible for designing the front end of the website.
- Web designers would design a creative and innovative solution as per the clients’ specific requirements to add personality to the website. It makes a website stand out and allows it to be brandable, impressive, and appealing.
- Web designers would focus primarily on the end-users’ experience.
- Web designers would use various design software like Illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks, and more.
- Web designers may also use development software such as Dreamweaver.
Web Development Involves
- Adding complex and advanced functionality (the back end) to the website.
- Developing interactive features on the website.
- Minute attention to detail and ensure that every feature is functional, operational, and performing just as desired.
- Based on programming languages like PHP, C#, Java, and others.
- Relies on development software and tools like Visual Studio, Dreamweaver, and Eclipse.
Each of these place a crucial and critical part in your website and the better build your website is, the better off you will be in the long run. Your website is what makes people feel comfortable about you and your brand so it mush speak to them and also work for them. If either of these aspects are broken in any way, shape, or form, you’ll potential be jeopardizing the chances of getting people to reach out to you about your business.
Whether you’re planning on getting a new website built from scratch or thinking of joining the web development industry, it is essential to know the difference. Web design and development is a multi-stage process, and there are many overlaps in between. The web designer and developer have to work in conjunction to get the desired results. Many firms and web designers/developers provide end-to-end services in today’s date so that you don’t have to work with two separate professionals or firms simultaneously as a mediator.